So I’m On A Podcast!

Yep, my friends, you read that right: I’m on a podcast! Whee~!

Y’know, I’d actually wanted to work in the phrase “You can hear my voice” somewhere in this post’s title, coz I thought it was such a funny pun, being a mash-up of drama titles “Can You Hear My Heart?” and “I Hear Your Voice” – but, I decided against it coz it is kinda obtuse, and if someone’s not in on the joke, I’d just sound like a pompous fool, wouldn’t I? πŸ˜†

ANYWAY. I got to be a guest on the Dramas Over Flowers podcast (you might remember the ladies from the excellent episode on bullying, that I shared previously), and you can listen to it right here!

How fun, to get a stab at the podcasting experience, and with friends whose company I already enjoy!

You can find the podcast show notesΒ here, with timestamps.

As it turns out, we spent most of the time talking about me and how I relate to dramas (hur, that made me feel uber special, I hafta admit). If I sound at all incoherent during the podcast, or if I say something tactless, please forgive me. It was probably because I was a little too excited and couldn’t think very straight. 😝

I hope you guys enjoy the episode!

Smooches. ❀️

~kfangurl

Notify of
guest
57 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Elzbieta Gozdziak
6 hours ago

Congrats on dipping your toes into this new (for you) platform. I would have wanted to hear less about your private life and more about the mechanics of keeping a blog alive, attracting new readers, and of course, your plans for the future. Hope you will get a chance to speak to us more often.

Kay
Kay
12 hours ago

Such a wonderful podcast and interview! πŸ™‚ It was great to hear you put all of your story together from the beginning to now. I know the past year + has been a struggle for you and for many of us. I really hope you are able to make things work with the blog so it can support it you.

I love your blog, and it was one of the first ones that I read when I got into kdramas way back when. Your reviews were particularly helpful then when it was hard to know what on earth to watch next (and they still are!). You have an amazing writing ability that you should be very proud of. Take care ❀

Timescout
22 hours ago

Now, that was fun! πŸ™‚ It’s always interesting to find out how people got into dramas and also into blogging. I started out with online fandoms of couple of western shows myself, then a happy ‘accident’ brought kdramas to my life and the rest, as they say, is history. πŸ˜‰ Well, I had my own ‘existential crises’ last year that eventually lead to a rather lengthy break. Your blog was one of the things that kept me from totally drifting away. Your posts are always a delight to read and I’m constantly amazed at your ability to make them so incredibly detailed. I could never! πŸ˜€

Sean
1 day ago

Hello kfangurl, I have just finished listening to the podcast and it was so nice to hear the other side of the blog. Thank you for sharing some lovely insights and how organic your journey has been. Yes, another six hours of conversation would have been fine by me πŸ˜‰

From my perspective I hope you do keep blogging as long as possible. I can’t always keep up with what’s happening on the blog, like I used to, but when I do it always makes me feel I have some balance back in my life. Interestingly, I find Patreon a bit easier to tap into at the moment.

Long may you reign in the blogging world πŸ‘‘πŸ‘‘πŸ‘‘

Trent
1 day ago

That was a very enjoyable listen, I’m glad you got a chance to do it!

I feel like I’m a little bit the opposite of some of the crowd, in that I’ve had more visceral emotional reaction to the more recent (say, released in last 5 years) dramas I’ve seen than the older ones (with the caveat that I still haven’t seen too many “older” ones). I wonder if it’s a case of what you first “imprint” on? Hmmm.

(Whenever the _Coffee Prince_ love starts to flow, I feel like I have go stand in the “you’ve been bad” corner for awhile, since I seem to be alone in not having loved that one…).

Reply to  Trent

Yes, while I like older shows very much–Queen Seon Deok and Chuno especially stand out, and Secret Love Affair, while not a way back show, still not all that recent, strikes me as being really great, and I can say I have watched it at least on four occasions. And I liked Coffee Prince well enough, but NOT because of the male lead. And no denying that the K Drama machine these days churns out a lot of schlock like television in general, but I more or less expect shows to keep popping up that I really love. My Mister is pretty recent and its final eight episodes were overwhelmingly touching. Youth of May just tore me up, to cite an example, that is eminently recent.

Trent
Reply to  BE

I’m only through the first 2/3 (8 eps) of Youth of May, but it’s already been an emotional ride, and I can tell it’s headed for some real heartache. Impressive bit of drama so far, for sure.

23 hours ago
Reply to  Trent

Go Min Si–I hope she wins some awards for her performance. I want to see more of her in the future as I assume this performance will garner more meaty roles, for which she seems completely ready.

Trent
16 hours ago
Reply to  BE

Heartily seconded. She was definitely one of the reasons I was looking forward to watching this–I’d enjoyed her in the first season of Love Alarm (in a minor, fairly adversarial role) and in Sweet Home.

This (Youth of May) has been a well-acted, well-written, well-shot production, a cut above many drama offerings, IMO.

Sean
Reply to  Trent

I wouldn’t feel to bad re Coffee Prince, Trent. I have never felt compelled to watch, despite reading everything about it 😊

Reply to  Trent

I didn’t love it either (for many reasons), you’re not alone. Itβ€˜s perfectly fine to not love something just because everyone else seems to! πŸ€—

Lady G.
Editor
1 day ago

This was such a beautiful podcast. Congratulations! You sound great, and not incoherent at all. I love your excitement!

It was brave of you to open up a personal story for us. It’s more understandable why you love and point out the organic and natural emotions presented in dramas (or lack of them!) Authenticity is important. I agree with the host who said she had visceral reactions to older Kdramas. I am the same. I feel less touched and involved lately. I think I loved the sentimentality and raw emotion of the earlier dramas, and many of the silly but lovely tropes. Remember the Squeeing over “All about Eve?” haha. It’s still on my mind. The older dramas and their soundtracks and scenes really stick to you.

My Kdrama story started 8 years ago, I just turned 41. I feel I don’t relate to the 20 somethings as much anymore. :p I still kind of avoid the youthful, idol and H.S. dramas. I recently watched “Alice” and “Kairos” and got such thrills and feels inside. I was shouting at the screen and kept clicking for “Just one more episode!” I was moved to tears because when I get excited/happy inside my eyes automatically tear up. LOL.

I don’t think I’ll be at the starting level again because RL intrudes. Still, It feels great to watch again! It’s true about retaining the languages! The Korean language has stuck more. I love knowing all the different words and phrases that pop up in Japanese too. I enjoyed your language discussion. πŸ™‚ I also liked the conversation about content scrapers and such issues.

Being “Queen” of your own domain is fun, exciting, and frustrating. I totally understand the pressures and hoping that you don’t let the fans down. But the fans are very understanding and they help us to grow. πŸ™‚

Last edited 1 day ago by Lady G.
Ele Nash
2 days ago

That was so moving, kfangurl. I chime with that feeling kdrama allows you to cry when you can’t cry about real life 😒 Thank you for such honesty – and this podcast makes me just love you and your wonderful blog all the more 😍 CPR kisses! Jang Hyuk obsession! You even answered the number one question of why you’re kfangUrl πŸ˜‚ Thank goodness you stopped lurking, and you could never let us down 😘 Take it easy on the number of posts!

Ele Nash
Reply to  kfangurl

Jang Hyuk always gets my attention! And it’s because you’re so welcoming (oh, and of course our shared admiration for you know who πŸ˜‚) that I could ever dream of delurking!

Ele Nash
Reply to  kfangurl

I’m usually wallpaper – especially in person – but, you know, kdrama brings out all these gushing opinions in me and, well, Jang Hyuk just brings out my inner super-enthusiastic fangirl so I find, here, I can’t shut up 😊

Reply to  Ele Nash

Ah well, there is wallpaper and then there is William Morris (19th C Welsh craftsman, inventor of the recliner–Morris chair, printer, poet, fantasy writer–talk about some wild and derring do kinds of heroes living in faux medieval prose, and early advocate of international pacifism) wallpaper:

Ele Nash
Reply to  BE

@BE πŸ˜‚ If only I were as gorgeous!

kate
kate
2 days ago

Hey “K-drama club president” (LOL), this podcast gave me so much joy and I LOVE your voice (I will hear it from now on when I read reviews πŸ˜€ )

“as an innocent bystander I did not see the appeal of crying all weekend”

LOL how pure, this really made me laugh!

I could completely relate to your emotional reaction to Goong. Despite all its flaws (and there are many imo), a lot of the dysfunction and miscommunication between the 2 characters really resonated with me. And it is true to some extent that some of the older, less polished dramas can pack a bigger emotional punch but not as a rule, I feel? There were new(ish) ones that completely slayed me as well (“It’s ok to not be ok” for example)

The whole “I’m an introvert at heart” made me feel so seen. I lurked on a discussion forum for a particular TV show for months before getting up the courage to post but I have never looked back. The fact that it was such a welcoming crowd made a big difference of course. I am now friends with some of the posters from back then and even met them in RL, even though we’re all from different countries/ continents. If that’s not an argument for delurking, I don’t know πŸ˜‰

I totally get that you occasionally question whether to keep doing what you are doing, so just know that you are bringing SO MUCH JOY into the world with your reviews/ blog <3 <3 <3

Last edited 2 days ago by kate
Reply to  kfangurl

well you definitely brought lots (and lots) of joy to my world πŸ₯°

and yay to delurking! Itβ€˜s only brought good things into my life, Iβ€˜d otherwise never have experienced.

I had commented before finishing the podcast so let me add that I whooped out loud when you said CPR is not romantic! People treating life saving measures as kissing is one of my pet peeves πŸ™„πŸ™ˆ

I feel like I should dip my toe into C- and J-drama world as well 🧐
I only watched half of the (too many?) episodes of the Chinese Boys over Flowers and then gave up. I didn’t even make it through the first episode of the Korean one. Iβ€˜m not a Lee Min Ho fan (apologies to all LMH fans) and in general I think the cool d-bag boy with a secret heart of gold routine does not appeal to me. There is a line between standoffish bad boy and plain cruelty and bullying imo. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

Long story short, thanks for the non K-drama recs πŸ™

Reply to  kfangurl

Yeah, somehow Meteor Garden didn’t work for me but that doesn’t mean I wouldn’t love others, of course! Let me check if I can find Nirvana in Fire with subtitles! Thanks for letting me know 😘

fabulous, yes, I can watch it on Viki πŸ™Œ
Will join after catching up. I just speed read through that post and am psyched for Kill Me, Heal Me. That’s been on my watchlist for a long time. πŸ’•

Last edited 1 day ago by Kate
Reply to  kfangurl

No worries. I usually try to give every show the benefit of the doubt. The few things I abandoned, I did so only after at least 3-4 episodes (except K version Boys over Flowers lol). Iβ€˜m exited! πŸ™Œ

πŸ’ͺπŸ˜‚

2 days ago

The Special, such an honor, whatta voice! Whatta star! Queen!

Reply to  kfangurl

And you don;t really have blue hair? And still so celestial!

Reply to  kfangurl

And next you will be telling me those big eyes of yours do not actually take up one third of your entire face. Please…don’t tell me or I might become bereft for days.
Question on your faves lists: It was late and I am bad knowing some name pronunciations, so after Jang Hyuk who were the male actors you listed?And aside from Kim Hee Ae and Shin Hye Sun, the third actress? And other than Reply 1988 and My Mister, the other best show?
For me insofar as K Dramas are concerned, I would probably list Han Seok Kyu and Lee Byung Hun, though he is an even better film actor; Kim Hye Ja; and Secret Love Affair and add Dear my Family to your list of contemporary dramas (I can think of several sageuks as well, and certainly Chuno is high up there). But pretty cool for me that we have some distinct faves in common.

Shyama
Shyama
2 days ago

Great to hear what you really sound like!

manukajoe
manukajoe
2 days ago

That’s awesome, listening now! I had lots of Singaporean friends at uni so it’s a bit nostalgic. I don’t know Goong though. Thanks! Also one of the ladies has the same delicious Indian accent as my book-club friend ha ha.

manukajoe
manukajoe
Reply to  kfangurl

ζˆ‘ηš„ε‰εŠη”Ÿε‘’οΌI watched about 10 eps of this. It is so elegant as you said. But it was too close to the bone. All that she gives up. When she gave up her house and moved to that crummy apartment, I just couldn’t take it. That’s one thing, I find the C-dramas more unrelentingly miserable. The K-dramas find a way to inject more lightness and humour, even things like My Mister, there are moments of light. C-dramas not so much, I think.

manukajoe
manukajoe
Reply to  kfangurl

A Thousand Goodnights! I did not expect this to come up. It looked so pretty and yet the first 3 eps were so bland. Surprised to hear it’s worthwhile. I’ll give it another shot.

23 hours ago
Reply to  kfangurl

Although I am early in it, because I saw a post on reddit about tattoos, or the taboo against such, in K Drama world, the tattoos, wonderful ones, on the young woman who is the daughter of our protagonist’s father, led me to think when your post is up I would kind of like to discuss the various cultural attitudes from country to country about them.

Also I failed to note above, how the idea of you commuting to Hong Kong struck me as interesting, albeit it does give me a hint as to the why of your cosmopolitan and internationally savvy point of view. Singapore and Hong Kong, for a country boy like me, albeit having grown up in Los Angeles and gone to university in the Bay Area, how sophisticated.

Leslie
2 days ago

Well, that was great fun and very well done! Congratulations!

Snow Flower
Snow Flower

Listening now!

phl1rxd
phl1rxd
2 days ago

Wow Fangurl – I am listening now and it is great!

Natalia
2 days ago

Congratulations! I’ll listen to the podcast.